Sunday, April 30, 2006

REAL PEOPLE

There is something about shooting photos of real people that really makes me enjoy what I do. Hiring models from an agency and setting up a nice shot has its place as well, but its just different. This last week I worked on a job for a company called Knudson. I wont go into all of the details of what they do, lets just say they make machines. The job came up quick. Talked about it on Friday, propped and cast over the weekend, started shooting on Tuesday, and finished it up on Wednesday. We did 3 sets of portraits and about 70 detail/shop shots. This job was a little mix of editorial and advertising, it was kind of nice that way. We did end up shooting real people, but not all of them worked for the company. I guess what is nice about the people we shot the other day is that they are who they are. I doubt that you would find these people at an agency, at least not here in Denver. They are real human beings with real stories. Getting the chance to meet those real people is what keeps me interested in photography. I am glad I got the chance to work on the project.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... three posts in a day! What did we do to be so lucky? I think it's interesting what you say about shooting 'real' people. It seems to me that you continue to get commissions because you tend to bring out the 'real'-ness of those you shoot. You seem to be able to force a history upon your subjects that makes a story come to mind whether there's one there or not. This is true of beer bottles, actors or 'real' people. I guess it makes sense, then, when you're given someone 'real' to shoot that your job is made easier. I liked your quips about Homicide & genius man, too... thanks for sharing.

Juan Juanston said...

All I can say is "sleeping babies". That's how i had the chance to catch up a little. Thanks for the comments about the photos. It is nice to hear your thoughts on it all. Thanks for checking back to see the updates. I have a good shoot coming up this week on an Indian reservation. Maybe by next monday or tuesday I will have something to show. Thanks again.